View Single Post
      10-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
Hi all, long time BMW fan here. I've been thinking I would pick up the new F30/32 at some point for my growing family, but have realized over the years that the wife's minivan (our trusty '11 Sienna) automatically becomes the go-to car for trips farther than about 40 miles, and I don't see a sedan changing that. With the third kid on the way, I'm thinking the X5 is the way to go in order for daddy to get to trot his car out on the weekends too.

I'm loving what I'm seeing of the F15, but it looks like BMW raised the base price on the X5 substantially from last year's models. I confess I've never really thought about an SUV as my primary vehicle, so I'm somewhat ignorant of all of the X5s ins and outs.

Gently used 2011/12 X5 xDrive50i's appear to be obtainable for <$50k on the used market with many trimmings. This seems like a really good value proposition compared to the new xDrive35i. The way I configured mine (I usually go for all the bells and whistles) it came out to $70k MSRP.

With that said, can anyone give me some rationale that would push me to the new car over the old body? Any links or other information juxtaposing the two would be fantastic.

Based on my research there were quite a few changes, but I didn't see them summed up anywhere. So far it appears that fuel mileage improvements are a big win for the F15, and that might be the ticket I need to use with my wife. I hate buying the last gen stuff, but in this case I'm not sure I can convince the wife it's an easy choice.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!
There are many features that are standard on F15 and hence the increase in price. Navigation is now standard and much superior to E70.

Some packages offered on F15 doesn't even exist on E70.
The LED, Driver Assistance Plus, etc are new packages on F15 including exterior lines. Also, you may expect a better steering on F15 than E70.

If you have really right budget and not a great fan of all the techies on F15 then go with E70.

At the end, F15 is certainly overpriced with the various packages compare to rivals.
Appreciate 0