Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It does seem like a strange choice. In the XC90 we are planning on replacing you can turn the third row off but if you have it on, the fan speed is synced to the 2nd rows controls. Not sure why BMW didn't so something similar if you don't want/need individual control of the 3rd row.

Anyone know how it works in the X5? I'm guessing they just didn't bother putting vents in for the 3rd row since most people don't seem to opt for it anyway?
In the XC90, 3rd row vents gets it's heated/cooled air from the same heater/AC compressor as the first and second rows.

In the X7 and GLS, 3rd row has it's own stand alone AC compressor and blower fan. The vent piping are not connected to first or second row.

My guess is BMW/MB engineers thought that due to the size of the vehicle (bigger than XC90) it needed it's own cooling system in order to cool down the 3rd row sufficiently.

I don't think the X5 (even with the 3rd row seats) has a separate AC compressor for the 3rd row. X5 is roughly same size as XC90.
Ok smart to think an additional cooling unit is required for such a huge vehicle,
But isn't it kind of ridiculous to think that such size and needs would disappear when the 3rd row is down. 🤦🏻*♂️

By any means, they owned their mistake and fixed it.

Not let's hope that this 5zone or at least vents back at 3rd row becomes a standard.