View Single Post
      06-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #3526
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The retirement is worth it. Where you work changes your options significantly. Someone who works for a small(er) department is more limited than someone who works for a large Sheriff's department like me or mahalom3. We don't have to stay in patrol. We can work custody, hospitals, courts, …..this or that. If we want(ed) to limit exposure to the public - which I will be doing in the next 2-3 years max - we could transfer. Leaving wouldn't make sense despite the liability because we're already too deep, and easily matching our pay in the private sector would be more difficult…..plus the volatility. At 55 or 57, whichever applies, we can leave and sit on our asses making 50-85% of our highest pay depending on years of service. I have enough years in the private sector to also collect Social Security…..IF it still exists by the time I retire.
You are absolutely correct!! We also have SRO school resource officer, SWAT, Bomb Squad, SERT search and rescue, Community Services etc. You can't beat 3@50 for our retirement.