07-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #16
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk07335i View Post
yep...are you doing this yourself? I heard that the car would require a software update. Is this correct or is everything controlled by the thermostat?
If you're asking if BMWNA is involved with this retrofit, then no, I decided to get the oil cooler myself and have it installed on my own. No waivers, no problems, no hassle and I was able to get the retrofit right away.

You do not need any additional software updates or such for the oil cooler to be installed. Its purely mechanical and its like a "plug and play" kind of deal where the thermostat controls the control of oil to and from the engine to the oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
Why does that car have the non sport wheels?
I have a non-sport, therefore I just got the 17in rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtanker View Post
is the install now complete? do you notice cooling running temps?
Yes, the install is complete and I do experience lower running temperatures. Before the install, the gauge used to hold steady at 240 to 260F on a drive to and from my office. Now its probably around 15 to 20 degrees F lower than before and hovers around 220 to 240F. But I haven't had the chance to push the car hard yet so I don't really have an accurate reading on how the oil temperature will be like under hard driving. I'll post my report once I get the chance to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Very nice pics.
Doesn't the oil cooler retro fit also come with the new 340 degree oil temp gauge for the dash too?
Nope, the retrofit kit didn't come with the new 340 degree oil temp gauge. Or at least I didn't bother to order one. haha I believe if you get the new gauge, you'll need to order a whole new instrument cluster which could cost an arm and a leg! Not worth it in my opinion. The original gauge still works fine anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
Im guessing you are a tech?
Nope, I'm not a tech. Just a guy who really loves his car.

Last edited by thealbert; 07-03-2007 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0