01-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I totally agree that the dummy light was a really bad idea. If you don't have the lights on and want to just flash the lights, the xenons flash the high beams. I don't think xenons like to be flashed like that. It's not a problem if you have your low beams on, but having the xenons energize just to flash to pass is just lame! I think the Euro cars have the Halogen for the flash to pass while the US cars got screwed. It looks like the dummy projector is blacked out. I pulled the little 10w bulb that's behind the dummy and shined a small high powered LED flashlight in from the back and zero light came out the front, it just lit up the halo a little. I sure would like swap out my spec lights for some Euro spec ones. The Xenons are bright but don't seem to shine very far down the road on high beam. My guess is the Euro spec xenon with halogen high beam will shine further down the road than the US spec xenons.

As far the USA DRL, well, they can hardly be seen during the day, so they should be called NRL, for nightime running lights, since that's the only time you can see them. I think we should petition BMW to give us real DRL, (or Halogen instead of dummy lights), since the car is advertised as having DRLs. I get an insurance discount for having DRLs even though no one can see them during the day, I'm sure my insurance company wouldn't be too happy if they saw my DRLs during the day.
totally agree with you, BMW misinformed us and those lights are definitively not DRL's so il petition with you. Oh and it was very clear on my 335 manual that xenon lights should not be turned on and off repeatedly because it will damage them so what will BMW have to say about that?