Thread: My Ohlins Saga
View Single Post
      02-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

An update on my updated R&T Installation

Turned out the knocking I heard from the front shocks was caused not by spring bind but by an installer who overtorqued the bolts and stripping the threads causing the shocks to get loose and bang against the top hats.
I fortunately found another shop not too far away who was an official dealer and who got me replacement front shocks at a decent price due to the mercy Ohlins USA gave to an unfortunate customer. They not only replaced and properly fitted the front shocks but let me know that the 8" springs I had in back were too short for the lower compression rating of 110n. They were able to order 10" Swift springs at the rear in 100n rating, which Swift said would be fine since the springs were going to be compressed over 2" to get to the same preload as the 190n 8" springs in the stock Ohlins kit. What this gets me is a softer back end for the horrific bumps and potholes in the northeast.

Right now my suspension is just where I wanted it from the time I bought the car. The Ohlins suspension glides over bumps where the stock suspension would rattle my teeth. If you bought the M2 to be a track day car then this is probably not for you. If you use your car as a daily driver, the Ohlins setup with 60n 8" Ohlins springs in front and 100n 10" Swift springs out back is just perfect. Bumps that would have caused the back end to lift off or walk sideways just come and go. With the other mods I have made, including a Wagner intercooler, a Pure inlet and a Fabspeed Sport Cat, as well as the sound deadening from adding the 2 series door foam inserts, has made this car into the ultimate touring car. It is comfortable, responsive and the problems of heat soak which I could feel by my feet when the engine was pressed, are a thing of the past. This car is a keeper.
Appreciate 1
ES BMW67.50