View Single Post
      03-05-2024, 11:33 AM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
What does the bold part mean? Is it that MHD is simulating, or showing/forcing, the post-O2 sensor to show its reading are in spec/set without primary cats installed? If they are and it is listed on an open forum then they’re in serious trouble if caught. Reputable companies won’t even sell you a catless exhaust without actual proof that it’s being installed on an unregistered race car or a car that has no active state registration. Stage 2 tunes typically suppress the CEL from showing up on your dash. No CEL light doesn’t mean you’ll pass.

Also, each year more states are starting to check for stock engine software during an emissions test. If you’re running an aftermarket ecu tune you will not pass. On BM3, you have to reload the stock ecu tune AND relock your ecu. An unlocked ecu won’t pass. Is NY a state that’s checking ecu’s? I don’t know. The state I live in starting checking ecu’s between 2019 and 2021.

Check out this link:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...98&postcount=1
Most tunes sold by non-US companies offer simulation so you pass OBD2 plug in with catless down pipe. It is illegal so US based tuners don’t do it unless they know and trust you, due to EPA threats of big fines. I have not yet read of states checking for tunes. If they are able to detect tunes, then that is a bigger problem. Might have to swap a stock DP back in and flash back to stock. That would be a pain but doable.
Appreciate 0