View Single Post
      03-05-2024, 12:30 PM   #15
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Most tunes sold by non-US companies offer simulation so you pass OBD2 plug in with catless down pipe. It is illegal so US based tuners don’t do it unless they know and trust you, due to EPA threats of big fines. I have not yet read of states checking for tunes. If they are able to detect tunes, then that is a bigger problem. Might have to swap a stock DP back in and flash back to stock. That would be a pain but doable.
I’m aware of 10+ states that check for non-oem ecu software. They do not make this information public. In 2020, I tried two different versions of tuned software including the one that passed in 2018 and failed both times. I asked my tuner and he said it was due to more states adopting this ecu check during emissions testing. So I reloaded stock tune to the ecu and I passed. My state still doesn’t list this as a requirement/check in its emissions test requirements. A couple of states up north have added this check since 2021-2022. So not only do you need cats, you also have to have stock ecu software.
Appreciate 0