View Single Post
      02-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctic
Today I was monitoring the water temperature of the engine using the hidden on-board computer menu 07.00. It seemed that from a cold start, it will slowly reach 90C then to 96-97C.

And then I finally got a chance to red line the engine to mid-6000rpm. Suddenly, the temperature reads 85C. After a while, it slowly heats up to 95-97C again. Quite interesting. I guess this is why there's no water temperature gauge in the E90 or it will start flucuating all the time.

But if BMW wants to satify those who miss the gauge because they can not tell when the engine had warmed up yet, they should add a function for drivers to check. Maybe a menu within the On Board Computer.
first, as others have said, your water temperature goes up much quicker than your oil does and whether you should rev the engine depends on how warm the oil is, not the water. my older vw had an oil temperature gauge and it would reach it's normal operating temperature about 10 minutes AFTER the coolant needle reached the middle.

second, the fact that your water temperature fluctuates is entirely normal for every car. the gauge you see in other cars where the needle is always at the middle is pretty much a basic gauge that registers cold, normal and overheating. it won't show the normal fluctuations in accelerating. that's probably the reason why bmw decided to do without it. only a few cars like the mitsubishi evo has an accurate coolant gauge where you can actually see it move as opposed to staying in the middle.
Appreciate 0