View Single Post
      12-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
vladman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Brakes

Hi,

I bought my car used from BMW mid September. It had 26000 miles when I picked it up. I've covered about 3500 miles since then, approximately 60/40 city/motorway driving.

I fairly accurately remember that the idrive said the rear pads would need changing in 20-30k miles (when I picked the car up) and the fronts in 130000 (yes, 130k), which sounds crazy, is this possible?

The crazy high number for the front pads aside, my issue is that all of a sudden, yesterday I noticed when I started the car it said service needed in 1600 miles, which was very surprising as over the last couple of months the car was progressively counting down the required next service interval in 1000 miles increments, down from about 12000, if I remember correctly, when I picked it up. So only about a week or even less ago, I'm sure it was down to about 7000. I checked the itemised menu in idrive and it's now saying the rear pads need changing in 1600 miles (the fronts are still saying 130000!).

This is all a bit weird to me. Is it reasonable that the rear pads need changing in less than 3 months (and after only 3500 miles) after I bought the car, and how could the mileage countdown for their required change plummet down as suddenly as that?

Should the dealer cover this, I know the pads aren't normally covered by warranty, but does this sound normal to you?

I'm planning a trip to the Czech Republic and back in 10 days and I think I definitely need to have this sorted before that.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0