United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Performance View Post
Lucky Punch, not more. Other cars are even better.
BMW switched to always by the models but no car is a really racecar.
The e46 gt3 it wasn't, the e92 m3 gt3 it wasn't, the z4gt3 it wasn't and the m6 it wasn't too...

I think the best Setup from the BMW Portfolio is a i8 combinated with the legendary v10 engine and an hybrid System like KERS. That would be revolutionary.

Why can not BMW finally construct a real racecar like a Audi r8 lms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
don't matter, these sports series mandate a lot of specs and then adds balance-of-performance adjustments to each type of car to keep it close. A KERS system would be illegal in IMSA and WEC GT classes (where the M6 GTLM and GT3/GTD races), and a V10 will force the team to use a certain intake restrictor to match the power of various engine configurations and sizes in its class. That's why in GTLM you have 4.4t racing against a 3.9t vs a 5.5L vs 3.5t, H6, etc etc etc.

Development and specs on GTD and GT3 cars are further clamped down.

Interestingly, if you want to see the high tech race cars, the LMP1 category in WEC is where it's at. Most use hybrid drivetrains, though I am sad with the new LMP1 change that came about 2 years ago, b/c gone are the days of these monsters:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...-65-3-roa1013/
Also there's the obvious fact that BMW doesn't currently produce a V10 engine [for sale], let alone one that is fitted in the i8 chassis.
There's no way BMW would get away with blatantly cheating the regulations.

They already got away with skirting the rules via loopholes with the E46 GTR and Z4 GT3/GTE/GTLM/GTD.

BMW is finally being a good sport by racing what it sells, an M6 with a 4.4L TT V8.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0