View Single Post
      10-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Please define "big wheels." In my experience going from stock 18" wheels and stock rubber to 19" wheels with 255 rear and 235 front tires, I saw an improvement in overall ride quality including a reduction in cabin shock when hitting potholes. Look at Porsche, also. They have proven that 20" and even 21" wheels on a focused sports car do not compromise ride quality when the suspension is engineered properly and doing its job. Compared to my 997.1 Carrera S with stock 19" wheels, the new Porsches ride like butter even with their "big wheels." Technology has come a long way. This whole notion that smaller rims automatically make for a better ride is just an old school way of thinking.

Also, when I compare the roads in North Carolina where I lived for 7 years to the roads here by Chicago, there is a huge difference. So many more potholes and rocks and gravel all over these Midwest roads (a detail freak's nightmare with rock chips a constant threat). Never mind the salt and gravel they dump during the long winters.