View Single Post
      10-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Please define "big wheels." In my experience going from stock 18" wheels and stock rubber to 19" wheels with 255 rear and 235 front tires, I saw an improvement in overall ride quality including a reduction in cabin shock when hitting potholes. Look at Porsche, also. They have proven that 20" and even 21" wheels on a focused sports car do not compromise ride quality when the suspension is engineered properly and doing its job. Compared to my 997.1 Carrera S with stock 19" wheels, the new Porsches ride like butter even with their "big wheels." Technology has come a long way. This whole notion that smaller rims automatically make for a better ride is just an old school way of thinking.
I'd like to clarify your assertion, please. I think there are numerous independent variables in some of these points. Improving the quality/reducing the weight of new wheels/tires can complicate the analysis of the outcome. My question is, if we control for one independent variable and hold constant:
  • Same car
  • Same suspension set-up
  • Comparison among either OE sourced tires or aftermarket tires in two sizes, but not a mix of those categories (there are inherent differences)
  • Same brand and model of tire in both sizes
  • Same brand and model wheel in both sizes (presumes weight increase with larger size of same wheel)

...you assert that ride quality is either maintained or improved with the larger wheel/shorter sidewall tire?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0