View Single Post
      05-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

I drove both the S3 and M235i Xdrive.

I enjoyed the S3, in part because my expectations were not high. I actually went to the dealership to test out an S5.

The S3 was quicker than I expected and charges right up to redline. It has a non-linear acceleration that's kind of fun (think turbo dyno graph), but it is missing a little on the bottom. It was fairly tossable with decent response. It's lighter than the BMW. The car looks nice inside and out (inside is a bit stark/simple, but well done). However, I found the following drawbacks:
-Exhibited more understeer when driven hard into a corner
-It is front wheel drive bias and that shows up from time to time
-Turbo lag. It has more of it. For the most part they've done a great job with the combo, but there were instances where I was really waiting for the car to spool and go (it felt like the car was out of sync a few times). I found this very frustrating and for this characteristic alone I would hesitate to purchase this car
-initial brake bite can be abrupt

Overall I thought the car was fun to drive and would be a good daily driver. If you don't hit the track I don't think push in the corners would be a big deal on the street.

I've had my M235ix since December and really don't have much bad to say about. My list would be:
-it's not quite as tossable as the S3, however without back to back drives I think you would be quite happy with the M235ix handling
-steering feel isn't quite there, but still decent
-only has 2 doors (you know this going in, but you might be surprised how much you miss the extra 2 doors)
-brake feel is just okay

On the plus side:
-rear bias awd system. BMW did a fantastic job with the Xdrive system. It will allow the car to rotate and the back to step out a bit before the front responds. Audi has a reputation for good awd systems, for good reason, but I would argue the Xdrive is better with regard to the two cars being discussed
-good acceleration with JB4
-nice interior (I love the idrive interface and large screen)
-it went through the Wisconsin winter great. It handled the conditions as well as my 4wd Ram, other than deep snow. This with the same tires that will pull a decent ¼ mile time
-The car feels mostly balanced on the street. I am certainly not an expert on this, but I have owned a Spec Miata race car and 700+rwhp Trans Am, so I have a general feel for balance and oversteer. I do plan on getting some better tires and doing some track days so there will be more to come on this
-it rides good in comfort mode (this is over Wisconsin’s broken concrete streets)
-it’s a well-rounded car that does just about everything good.

I really really like this car.

All things being equal (price, numbers of doors, etc.) I would without a doubt get the M235ix over the S3. If you need 4 doors the S3 is a good choice except for the occasional throttle hesitation. I’m not a fan of the looks of the Golf R, but we all have different tastes. That pushed aside the R offers an even tougher argument, because of its price point. My money buys the S3 over the Golf R and the M235ix over both of them. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with any of the cars you are considering though.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1