View Single Post
      05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Flex isn't dangerous, I'm sure with negligence you could burn paint, but I would imagine it would take holding it in a spot for a very long time. I believe that the difference between the "safety" of using th flex vs. the rotary isn't the rpms, but it's because the rotary moves in a circular motion, and the flex moves in an orbit like a PC. Therefore the flex doesn't contact with the same exact area for a long amount of time, leading to less heat. With a rotary you have it moving only in a circular pattern so the entire contact area of the pad is generating heat the entire time the pad is in contact with it in that spot.

Rotary polishers are actually safer than many may think, adhering to a few simple rules will keep you from burning paint. On practice panels I actually found it quite difficult to burn the paint intentionally unless I was using a stiff foam pad. However on plastic parts like bumpers you do have to be much more careful with the rotary as they warp/burn much easier because the plastic doesn't dissipate the heat as well as the metal.

However, starting out with a RO is definitely the smart choice, and with new powerful ones like the flex out, many can get great results without using a rotary.