View Single Post
      04-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #21
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
Took another drive this afternoon from Blue Pond Road->Tai Hang Road->Wong Ngai Chung Gap Road->Repulse Road->Shek O->Eastern Island Corridor->Mid-Levels.

1) I can't believe I am saying this but...... I am appreciating the Comfort mode more when I have to follow slower traffic at windy roads. It does what it says, more comfortable. DHP in comfort mode reminds me of being in a S-Class. Sorry, don't know what the 7 rides like because I never owned one
And passing thru road imperfection is definitely easier on my bottom in Comfort mode

2) 2nd observation is about IAS in Comfort mode vs sport. My v1.0 didn't have comfort mode so I couldn't tell much, except that car can corner tighter. Coming out from Shek O -> Eastern Corridor, there were traffic and roads were windy. However, I got an opportunity to step on it (up to only 3.5K rpm at a turn, and all of a sudden, I felt the F10 sliding out. Not skidding but sliding. And that reminded me that I was in comfort mode! The car really did what BMW said in marketing materials and more sliding (more comfortable as in changing lanes) with IAS on. So moral is: Don't do spirited driving on windy roads in Comfort mode with IAS.

3) Cornering in sport mode is awesome now with both IAS/DHP Drove most of the Repulse Bay road in sport mode and the car hugs the curves and stayed completely level

3) In sport mode, somehow the car handles like a smaller car even than my v1.0, in terms of suspension and responsiveness. I think BMW must have really tweaked the software since last July!

So, to distill things a bit, my perfect F10 should be specc'ed as follows:

Either 550i(can't drive above 4.5K rpm realistically, but tonnes of power)
or 535i (more refined, but able to rev it up high in HK)
IAS
DHP
M Sport Kit.
20" wheels, PSS tyres/PZ Hero tyres.

And that's about it.

PS. I purposely not talking about gas mileague here. Painful.
I have noticed the 'power slide' thing in mine too, but i dont have IAS. I wonder how much is IAS, how much is the car ex.IAS. Now I bet everyone wants to try the IAS

Indeed we have two very different cars, with the taxes here, there can exist 2 different classes of cars within the same '5 series' name.
The power of the turbo engines, with the DHP and IAS, can create a very 'spaceship' effect of little effort/high power, variable comfort settings, and lateral movement
My 1/2 price 5 series I think I will drive as an overgrown 3 series, firm up the overall suspension for lower body roll but still high comfort, and smallish but playful NA engine.. its a simple car really

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC3 View Post
Good review, mlai. I would love to have IAS now, just hate maneuvering in narrow driveway, u turn and 3 point turn. Drive like an idiot compared to my 3er.
We must accept our shortcomings. Or in the case of our F10 528i's without IAS, its over-longcomings
Appreciate 0