View Single Post
      07-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

A little review Jaguar XE vs Bmw 340i

So looks like I will be giving up the 2 seater manual for a more practical 4 door auto due to shacking up with the GF. First world problems

anyhou, so I test drove a BMW 340i and a jag XE v6 prestige back to back yesterday.

here are my impressions

The 340i feels bloody fast. the new engine is a peach. Smooth as silk, much less turbo lag than the n55. it felt faster at times than my cayman S (they are actually pretty similar in outright performance).The engine also sounds pretty damn good.
handling was pretty slick (the car I drove had the m performance package)
ride was composed.
I liked the car a lot.

so then I drove the XE, a prestige model, awd without the adaptive suspension

The XE's engine felt more gruff and less refined. I didn't particularly like it. It didn't sound as good. It felt slower even though on paper it is just as fast. I didn't feel like the throttle response was any better...the lag on the 340i is the least I have felt on any turbo
handling was very good, but didn't feel quite as dialed in as the 340i, a little more body roll, but again this was the prestige model riding on 19's, not the r sport version riding on 20's
ride was very composed

in the end, the engine in the 340i takes the day for me, engine feel and response has to be the strongest factor in enjoyment of a car, and the 340i's engine was head and shoulders above the jag's in refinement, response, sound and silkiness

I also think the 440i grand coupe looks sweeter than an XE

looks like I might be coming back to the BMW camp...
Appreciate 0