View Single Post
      05-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #14
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus330i
You know I got navigation in my last car (E60) and I'll never want another car without it....it has been a real blessing in my line of work (real estate). I like that they can upgrade the software and enhance/improve the functionality and the "fun factor". Like, I got bird's eye view upgraded at no charge along with a version update.

Wouldn't it be cool if your service tech gave you an upgrade say, in a year, and then told you: "Because you have the BMW assist (or the sat. radio antenna wiring) we upgraded you to receive emails on your I-drive screen" I mean...that little screen might do an awful lot of trick things in the future. But I like toys and I-drive is a fun one.

THAT SAID...I saw a commercial for Nextel (cellular) and they have a phone that gives you voice navigation instructions.....yeah...a cell phone with a navigation system in it. THAT'S COOL! I don't know how well it performs but if that technology catches on it could make the $2000 car nav system extinct.
Hmm. That's true. I am a gadget guy and software upgrades for my car could be fun. Though I still wonder how long it takes before new iDrive hardware is introduced and the cool upgrades are only for that system. I'm sure the E46 nav guys aren't getting many more cool upgrades. I have a feeling that in a few years navigation is going to rapidly evolve by leaps and bounds as it becomes as ubiquitous as the car stereo.

That Nextel phone is sort of cool, but the service was shockingly expensive when I checked it out. It does hold promise for the future though.

- Collin
Appreciate 0