View Single Post
      01-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've driven from MA to Texas a few times in my younger days. Once I did it almost non-stop, with just a couple hour nap in a rest area. These days I can barely deal with a 3 hour drive to Chicago. My back just doesn't do well sitting in a car for long stretches. We used to drive out to New England to visit family every year, but now there is just my FIL there. That's a two day drive for us and I'm not sure either of us can deal with that now. Really a shame since flying is more and more of a hassle now than the time savings is worth.
My longest drive was 22 hours, trying to stay ahead of a blizzard as I drove from the western part of Wyoming to Chicago area, on the way to Detroit for a new job over the New Year’s holiday. I was in a mid-90s 740i and arrived without soreness or body fatigue, but tired mentally. That was 1999. On this trip, in a 2018 Volvo XC60, we were good for 11 hours if we had to, but preferred around 8 max. My wife has more difficulty with the seat time than I do.

I’ve driven I40, I10, I5, I90, I80 end-to-end and on most of the other interstates, and many US highways. I love the drive, zen-time, and seeing the country and meeting people from all over. But aging does suck!

I recently bought another 7-series (2006) but I need to do some things to it before another mega-trip, so it didn’t get the nod this time.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00