View Single Post
      10-24-2021, 09:17 AM   #46
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

“My point, if that's what you're referencing, wasn't a comparative analysis to a high-end home system, rather a capability assessment based on what "high res" is supposed to do in the first place .... which is to resolve very small details that normally get dropped like the echo off of the bass off the piano, when the singer's lips part, the scratch of the guitar pick on the string “

Absolutely no car environment would ever support these nuances even to the trained audiophiles ear. Agreed!

“The point isn't to ding (or compare) the B&W system, rather to simply ask: if the B&W system's DAC, amp, & speakers aren't capable of that resolving & reproducing those tiny details, then high-res (and any effort spent on it) wouldn't be worth much.“

Didn’t take that way and totally agree. Was just referencing my initial intent when I started the thread. I had a lot of souls searching to do when I did the build sheet based on “forum/internet” opinions and feedback on the B&W. The broad consensus was that while it had good mid and highs clarity was lacking bottom end etc. I was happily relieved that when we got the car and set up basic EQ settings and use of good quality source material I was fully satisfied with the performance of the system

That aside your information in your post is excellent. I would have never known that the source device SW limitations capped out at the CD quality level but as you said other than a high end system in an acoustically configured environment are you ever going to be able to hear the difference. In the car environment CD does sound really good especially when you consider that with the advent of streaming etc we have forgotten how good CD sounds compared to the compressed low but rate streaming material.

Thank you for the research and sharing of the info in your post

Appreciate 2
GrussGott18183.50
jmciver1837.00