Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
jmciver
Thanks for the info been following...What makes you think the Bavsound is better than the HK speakers? Aside from your ear.

Was it a noticeable difference on just the factory amp? I am going to upgrade the hifi speakers, the amp is still a question mark as to what I should do there. Not sure if our cars have an ASD or not (X7 40i) but that I believe impacts any aftermarket amp choices.

If the Bavsound quality is good I'd consider it. Eton is the best option but they don't make a center channel option for our cars. They have speakers for every other location though. Bavsound on the other hand is drop in plug and play for our cars.
I am not an audio engineer by any stretch, but the Bavsound speakers sound better with the factory HK amp based on their design (i.e. materials, etc) and more efficient use of the signal coming from the factory HK amp - especially when paired with a high quality sound source. You can really hear the difference if you can do a direct comparison between a stock sound system and an “upgraded” one (i.e. going directly from one car to another..).

All that said, I believe the amp is a key player to improved sound, just like the speakers. The Bavsound speakers (and BimmerTech ones as well I will speculate), sound good because the HK amp is very good. The HK amp is much better than the HiFi amp (power, DSP, etc) - and there is no PnP amp upgrade for the G-series cars with HK at this time, only for the HiFi amp. So the sound improvement using Bavsound speakers with the HiFi amp may not be as good - but that can be a bit subjective. For this reason, there are some that recommend that to get the best sound upgrade in a Hifi equipped car, you should do both the speakers and the amp.

Lastly, the 40i does not have ASD (which is a good thing IMO if you value music sound quality in your car). The M50i has it I believe though….

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 11-19-2021 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18183.50