View Single Post
      05-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've owned my M235 6MT since early February. Two weeks after getting the car, I made my own "clutch pedal stop" with a piece of 1/2" by 1/2" 1/4" high durometer rubber and 3M tape.

I've been driving manuals since 1993 and found the clutch engagement on the M235 to be off at times, specifically starting in 1st and the 1-2 shift. It's like the engagement point moves around a bit. Basically I could occasionally be a abrupt when leaving in 1st or on the 1-2 shift. I found this annoying and a bit ego shattering considering how long I owned and competitively raced manual transmission cars.

After learning a bit more about how these CDVs work and most importantly, BMW's clutch system design that maintains the engagement in the same overall area as the clutch wears, last week I decided to remove my clutch stop and see if there was a change. To my amazement, it's far easier to modulate the clutch and I'm smooth all the time. Yes, the OEM clutch travel is a bit excessive, but it makes for much easier and consistent modulation. Given this, I do have doubts about the overall effectiveness of the clutch stop and it's operation in relationship to BMW's clutch system design. I can also see how even just a 3/8" thick clutch stop could potentially negatively effect the life of the clutch assembly.
Appreciate 0