08-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #32
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I wouldn't get too excited just yet, at least not if you are currently accustomed to the level of functionality found in even the mid grade models from BlackVue, Thinkware or other well known dash cam manufactures. I definitely prefer the clean OEM integration over a "gadget" mounted on my front and rear windows. But other than the ability to record additional camera views (which is still very nice), in terms of overall dash cam functionality and capability, this system still seems to be lagging far behind current aftermarket functionality and capability - at least based on what was demonstrated in this video.

Despite the clean OEM integration, IMO in order for this system to beat out/replace much of the aftermarket dash cams it would need to have the following minimum functionality:

1) Minimum 1080p resolution, front/side/rear (to make out things like faces and license plate numbers reasonably clearly)

2) Parking Mode, with enough battery reserve to at least last parking 10-12 hrs (for when your car is parked at work, etc - could mean LiPo batteries may become more common in the BMW lineup)

3) For parking mode, some type of motion and/or impact detection sensor/trigger (for things like door dings, parking hit & run, etc)

4) Basic night mode capability to help night videos. Nothing really complicated (or expensive) like the OEM Night Vision system, but something that helps - just like what is found in aftermarket dash cam systems. The cameras that don't have this basic tech are essentially useless at night (when a lot of "mischief" can occur).

5) Storage capacity: 64 gb min, but preferably 128 gb (so a lot of data can be stored before being overwritten)

I currently have a BlackVue DR590W 2-Channel system with a BlackVue battery backup installed in my F80 and it has all of the above, and that system would be considered a "mid-grade" model now.

Another nice feature to have which should be theoretically possible given the current tech installed in all new BMWs is the ability to remotely monitor the cameras via ConnectedDrive or have a notification sent to your phone if there is a "trigger" event while your car is parked - features commonly found in higher end dash cam models.

This OEM dash cam integration is definitely a step in the right direction for BMW - I like it. I hope instead of trying to "re-invent the wheel" with this capability they take a note from the more experienced aftermarket dash cam manufactures like BlackVue and Thinkware when determining what type of functionality they will incorporate into this system in the (near) future. But like another poster already mentioned, I still would consider installing a single channel dash cam in combination with this system if this is all the functionality BMW has to offer (primarily to get parking mode functionality, which the BMW system does not have yet apparently).
Blackvue is great. certainly saved me a bunch of times.
But this model gives you options. you can always code something for it, and once the main ability is there, its only a few more weeks.
Otherwise I will have another blackvue.

the bmw system could be good for track days.
\
Appreciate 0