View Single Post
      07-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #22
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
last time i checked it does not, this was about two months ago. i believe its not using the generic obdII interface, i suspect bimmer link uses the same ethernet- tcp/ip interface that bimmercode uses, same as ISTA and esys.
i can read and reset codes fine on my lci with an obdII app, view emissions readiness, etc, but i cant connect with bimmercode or bimmerlink. i havent tried ISTA yet. i've tried both an obdlink mx and an ethernet cable for bimmerlink and bimmercode, it cant connect.
obdlink mx works via the standard obd2 protocols with its included app.
That's great information to have. I haven't needed Bimmerlink inasmuch as I have the Topdon OBDII scanner. When I used Bimmercode to disable the Auto Start/Stop, I found I could not connect with the OBDLink SX cable connected to my Android phone (it has OTG capability on its USB), but I connected easily with the OBDLink CX Bluetooth dongle (I didn't even need to pair the device as it connected automatically with the short range protocol).

I remain cautious about coding, especially using a wireless interface. There's a guru on one of the MB forums that offers a coding solution for Benz's, and he is adamant about using only cabled OBDII connections. While there are error detection schemes in the comms protocol, and the likelihood of bricking a car remains low, I tend to be exceptionally risk averse.
Appreciate 0