03-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Sounds like you do a lot of highway driving. Big difference between that and soccer moms that start car, drive 5 km, shut off, restart, drive 2km, shut off, restart, drive another 2km, shut off and the oil never gets up to full operating temp.
My car has seen a lot of serious back-road driving with fast elevation changes and quick turns plus 200 miles a week of some of the most dense stop and go traffic in the US (US Route 66 in Northern Virginia). I've pretty much hammered the car on the last 10 miles to my house up in the central Virginia mountains for the past 10 years.

In that trip, is a 11-turn corkscrew mountain road one mile from my house that climbs 600 feet in 1 mile. My car has done that every day for 10 years when the engine has not even reached operating temperature.

But in your scenario, a soccer mom would never reach 17,000 miles in 1 year and would do a 1-year OCI per BMW maintenance schedules.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0