01-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Changing out the oil at the ~1200 mile mark as part of an engine "break-in" service is not a bad idea. BMW makes it a requirement on the engines in the M-cars (and is covered under the maintenance plan). But I would still probably do it on a non-M engine as well just as a good maintenance practice, especially if you plan to keep it for the long haul.

That said, the job looks pretty easy - as any oil change should be. I have never seen the oil filter on a BMW engine on the bottom of the engine though (which I guess is unique to the N63 : ). Only special tool you should need is the oil filter cover removal tool which can be purchased almost anywhere - and appears to be the same one BMW has used on their engines going back many years. But damn, 10.5 liters of oil is a lot....
Have not yet on this car but had an n/s63 v8 variant on 550, 650 GC, x5 50i and a M5. Have done oil changes on all and its pretty easy. Filter comes with the replacement gaskets you need. VERY IMPORTANT THOUGH: if you are jacking the car instead of using ramps and you have the air suspension - make sure you disable it first. I didnt and had some error messages when i lifted ours to put on winter tires. Fortunately they went away after a few miles. There is a thread on that topic here somewhere.
Appreciate 0