11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
Eric at Helix posted about how hard it is to show intake improvements on the dyno since airflow is artificially created.

intakes can improve performance in two ways; IAT and flow. If the stock airbox location is providing IAT's higher than 6-10 degrees above ambient, there's room for improvement; if not, an intake is useless. That brings up flow.....nobody tells you this spec (except perhaps Banks Power). You'd have to nearly double the output power of most modern turbo cars to exceed the flow capabilities of a stock airbox.

I think the reasons you guys think the car is faster with an intake alone is that your wallets are lighter, thereby improving performance.

^ what he said. Once u get a downpipe. full exhaust. change out your turbos to bigger turbos and increase the amount of boost youre running, etc. Then you can put on an aftermarket intake and see some real gains. Til then its a nice little mod that makes 3hp. it looks "Cool" inside your engine bay and makes a nice little woooshhhh noise with a tiny bit of growl when you hit the gas.