06-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
So.... "mysteriously" I got the connected drive, drive recorder, and all sorts of new features I never expected top get with a US spec X5 in Europe. Very happy.

Playing with the drive recorder.... I've got it set to work automatically upon impact, or to work manually. I even have preset #1 set to go right to it. I've tested it, played videos back in my car... all works well.

See.... here in Belgium.... you aren't allowed to video other cars, at all. it's against the law. If you have a recording of an accident (including your own), you have to identify it immediately to the police, and turn it over to the police immediately. If I fail to do exactly that... I can be charged with a crime (seriously).

I'm given the option to "export" any videos I've made.... but I have no idea where they go. ????

I can see "export to USB" (which is what I want), but it is greyed out, and I cannot use it, even with a USB plugged into my center console.

What am I doing wrong? How do I quickly export a video onto a usb, and then HAND that usb to a police officer.... should something bad ever happen?
Wow. I never heard / thought of that.

I know that with the surveillance cameras on my house I can't make a movie of the street and the people and cars driving through. (But I still do record a bit) You have to register your cameras with the police and tell how you are using them and what you are doing with the data.

And that is strange because a similar regulation should exist with the drive recorder as it is recording public places. I have the drive recorder from factory an no one at the dealership told me to register my camera like a surveillance camera on your house.

Well this is Belgium. If you don't tell nobody will know you have a recording of an accident. I just wonder how legal it is and if it looses any legal usability if you don't report it ASAP after you had an accident your self. But in Belgium laws are made to use at your best convenience anyway. So ASAP is open for discussion. Like not being able to put it on an usb stick sounds like a good reason for delay.

I haven't tried it yet but can't you use the camera button next to the gear lever to start recording? Or is the preset button easier to use?

I am still figuring out what is best. I am recording all 4 cameras a lower definition. It can also record just one In higher definition. But according to Murphy's law the accident will probably happen at side that is not being recorded.
Appreciate 0