View Single Post
      07-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

I know, and the answer is no, or not at least not w/o a small fortune and a lot of work on your part.....it is cheaper to sell your car and pay for an F10 with the options you want....

So, I assume you have the head unit, basic and you want to upgrade to the head unit, high. Also, I assume you want to upgrade from 2 or 2.5 zone to 4-zone climate control (there really isn't an "air conditioning" upgrade, unless you are referring to type of freon).

Let's lay out your issues one at a time. Your F10 most certainly can mechanically accept both basic and high head units, but it's all in the harness. The basis runs wires directly to the speakers from the head unit, and the high unit is wired to the audio amplifier in the rear left side of your trunk (tucked under the trim), via coax, then twisted speaker wires run from the audio amplifier to the speakers. This huge bundle of wires to support the amplifier and speakers for the head unit, high, runs from the head unit under the center console, cuts down under the driver's seat, under the carpet, then to the rear of the truck on the left side of the car. This harness only supports H-K, and requires a complete change if you want the B&O..it uses different AMP connectors. This means you'll need to strip the whole car interior out, except the dashboard, and install that harness (I have one for sale if you are interested)....but this harness also goes to the instrument cluster, GPS antenna, HUD, and other items that you must ensure you have if you swap this harness...it's a PITA.

This also applies to 2 to 4 zone climate control upgrade, except to get true 4 zone, you must put in the flaps controls by replacing the distribution box that is housed around your heater cabin radiator and A/C evaporator, which requires you to remove your dashboard. You need a new center, left and right front vent, a new center armrest that allows air to be sent to the floor vents in the rear, a new rear control panel, new carpet so it lays over the new floor vents and pillar vent plumbing, new rear floor vents that have a temp sensor and electrical heater elements, and B pillar vents, and tubes to connect. If you get this far, you need a new body harness (this is not the same harness for the radio stated above) to add the many wires that run from the rear fuse box, down the right side of the car, then picks up additional power wires from the JBE, and then runs up the center console to the rear controller, center vent, left and right floor vent and then back to the driver's side ambient lighting module. And if you get to this point, you now need to get all the VO codes correct to make sure all 4-zone functions work.

I did the 4-zone update and it took 4 months and a lot of $$$$. Was it worth it? Yes for me, but it's because it's a hobby for me...not a task for the typical DIY'er.

I also updated my F10 for rear seat heating too....and updated my front seats for ventilation, massage, and Gentleman's function..and added the rear sunshade...

If you plan to do both or either, be glad to give you some pointers.

Cheers.

NOTE: It would be less hassle if you use aftermarket stereo components to upgrade your audio, and live with your 2-zone climate control.
Appreciate 0