View Single Post
      06-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Already have had a lot of work done - is an extended warranty worth it?

Hey everyone, I'm at just shy of 70,000 miles and have been considering an extended warranty for a while. However, as of my most recent repair, I'm realizing I've already replaced a lot of the common failure points and am questioning whether $2,000 for a warranty is worth it. Here's what's been done:
  • Three HPFPs by 50,000 miles
  • Spark plugs around 50,000 miles
  • Laggy engine software update at 50,000 miles
  • VANOS solenoids at 64,000 miles
  • Water pump and thermostat at 68,500 miles
  • Full replacement of both turbos happening now (69,500 miles)

The warranty I'm looking at would cover everything the original BMW warranty covers, with the exception of interior parts, fluids, and iDrive and would be $2,000 for three years and zero deductible. Prior to the water pump it seemed like a no-brainer, but now I'm not sure.

What else can I expect to need to replace over the next three years/thirty six thousand miles? The car is a 2007 coupe with no oil cooler, but it's been well maintained and sees regular oil changes (recently switched to Motul oil and a 7,500 mile interval).

Thanks!