View Single Post
      10-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Lately i have been really missing normal aspiration and manual. At first the zf8 in the m240i with its pretty responsive paddles and the low end torque of the b58 kept me interested. But as of late, I really haven't been enjoying the drive all that much.

I recently test drove a couple e86 coupes and a 2019 bullitt and it really reinforced how much I need a manual back in my life. In the busy crowded straight streets of toronto there is little opportunity to enjoy curves and really accelerate. It makes you appreciate the extra engagement that comes with a manual.

Anyhow, the test drive of the bullitt made me realize how much I miss v8 sound and normal aspiration. I found the bullitt way too big and kinda sloppy though, and it actually didn't have low end torque.

Which brings me to the C7. That thing has low end torque and it's smaller. I actually had a 2015, but coming from a 2016 cayman S, I just found it wasn't working for me in a bunch of ways. I sold it after 3 days.

But now I really want a normally aspirated v8 and a manual and I feel like the C7 might actually be the best late model compromise out there. I realize I am going to feel the lack of refinement and the bigger size. In some ways it won't feel as good as the m240i.

But I do remember really enjoying the sound of the v8 and it has a pretty good manual and in the end, it may actually bring me more smiles per mile than the m240i.

This would not be a daily drive as I don't drive to work, but it would be my only car (so yes I would drive it in the winter with proper snows)

Interested in hearing from people who have had experiences with C7's on whether this would be a good move.
Honestly, I would say you have not modified your M240i enough to make it unique only to you. I was forced to learn and drive manual by a friend of mine with a F10 M5 as I was an auto only guy and it really didn't appeal to me as most people say it would. I found more fun in the sound, power, handling of a car and feel of it then I did in changing gears in manuals, which was why I decided to heavily modify my 335i for the track rather than straight line power. having also the option to switch between AWD and RWD (xDelete) I also enjoyed the better handling from the RWD as well.

As much as having a V8 and a manual might feel to you, I personally find that you may run into the same problem a couple months from now, missing the inline-6 and turbo instead.

If you want to compromise, I would say get the C8 or C7 Z06 if you're going to get a C7. Might as well go all out.