10-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #56
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
And this gets back to my original reply in this thread. Why not buy new if you hold on to the car for a long while? It's ridiculous to paint with such a broad brush.

I've never traded in any car I've owned. I've only sold off one car to a car buying service because having that car around with at the time two cars already was not prudent. The car buying service offered me more than what I would have gotten if I traded it in. That car I happened to buy used and felt comfortable about it because I was able to talk to the original owner. That car I owned for 16 years before selling it. My daily beater at the time I owned for 8 years until it was done in by a deer. I would have continued to drive that thing till I ran it into the ground. My previous car I drove till it blew a head gasket at around 170,000 miles and owning it for 11 years. My two bikes I currently own are 15 and 10 years old respectively. My 135i is going on 6 years and I have no intention of doing anything with it. Again all these vehicles were purchased new with the exception of the one used car I sold to a car buying service.

Could I have maximized my money more by buying used? Sure. But I certainly didn't piss away money that you're implying by buying new.
Even if you plan on keeping the car 50 years, is there really a difference between a brand new car and the same car with 5,000 miles, for example? It's the same car, without thousands/tens of thousands of near instant depreciation. Now, if you have a certain net worth, this conversation is irrelevant. But if you have a net worth of under 1 mil, it really doesn't make financial sense to buy a new car, finance or cash.
Appreciate 0