c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I don’t understand why folks throw in mods/tuning into car comparison discussions. My point was adding mods may help address things lacking about the car but saying a modded X is better than a stock Y is silly. Plus neither of these cars were intended for 1/4 mile performance. Sure a 135i with dp, tune, etc could blow the doors off a 718 but it’ll never put down a faster lap time on a road course. But that’s ok because you also get something slightly more practical for much less cost.

IMHO the E82 135i was and still is the best “modern” Bimmer sports car that can ”do it all” without breaking the bank (e.g. fuel consumption, 9 quarts of 10w-60, rod bearings, etc.) For those complaining about old tech, simple answer is find a barebones model. Tech is great if you’re continuously leasing else you’re stuck with something archaic. When I uograded from my 3.0si to M roadster, I purposely looked for min options. The navi reminded me of my old 486DX computer.

The whole 911 owners looking down on a 718 is just weird. Maybe they need to justify their extra depreciation, but these cars are hardly entry level. It’s not like the brand is watered down same way BMW did by offering a 320i.

Both fine cars end of day but as I said before I’d choose the 135i/s. It’s the prettiest ugly car I’ve owned (and this is coming from a former Z coupe owner!)
As pointed out, there is no right or best answer. The right answer is purely personal.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00