10-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #106
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
1) We would have to just agree to disagree regarding the job markets. While there are obviously not as many people moving to CLT for a new professional job than to LA or NYC, it is hardly a rural and uneducated market. Heck, Charlotte is the second largest banking and finance hub in the country.

2) Ah, student loan debt. Don't get me started on that. Has college gone up a bit more than inflation over the last 50 years? Yep - about 6% per annum as compared to 3.2% per annum for inflation - but most of those giant student loan balances are the result of shitty financial responsibility and not because of anything else. I graduated with 0 debt and multiple grad degrees, but I know it was hard and not everyone could have done it. But graduating with any more than $30k - $60k of student loan debt unless you are a physician is just asinine and a whole other problem that doesn't relate to this thread.
I'm glad you graduated with no student debt but your anecdotal example doesn't prove anything.

"Inflation Examples
For example, the Bureau of Census reports that the average price of a new home in May 1999 was $193,900. According to the inflation calculator, that price today should be $298,774. The same report places the average sale price for May 2019 at $377,200, more than 26 percent higher than the price when accounting for inflation alone.

The same method can be applied to see if household incomes have similarly increased. The median household income in 1999 was $42,000, according to the Census Bureau. According to the inflation calculator, that price today should be $64,716. The most recent year with full data available is 2018, which places household income at $61,227, meaning that it has failed to keep up with inflation and is 5% below where it should be."

from Investopedia but note that it is citing to census bureau data. And this data doesn't account for the fact that there are many more two earner homes today than 20 years ago.
Appreciate 2
Soterios575.00
jmack548.50