View Single Post
      11-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
DenverMisanthrope
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i (ordered), 540i xDrive

My 540i has the display key. Fortunately, the car also came with two normal key fobs, because I'm really not a fan of the display key. The novelty wears off quickly and you realize it's cumbersome, it confuses valet attendants, and it's yet another device that has to be kept charged.

The last straw for me was when it completely froze up one day out of the blue. I couldn't even shut the screen off. Once the battery finally died and I'd recharged it, I couldn't get it to turn back on. I thought it was bricked. At the time, the service department hadn't encountered another owner with one, so they had no idea what to do. I ended up leaving it in a drawer for several months and then, on a whim, I tried recharging it, at which point it did seem to be working again... but I've just left it in the drawer ever since.

The smartphone app is better. The display key was an answer to a problem that didn't exist.

Disclaimer: This is simply my opinion and is in no way intended to offend anyone who likes the display key.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50