10-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #13
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestodabest

I could see your wet conditions arguement being viable; mind you pads are normally slotted, and if i remember correctly, most modern BMW's utilize technology that's supposed to actuate your brakes every so often to purge water from the friction surfaces.

I disagree with your opinion on brake fade, though. I'm not convinced that slots or dimples will prevent the brake pads from overheating better than blanks.

A blank rotor has more volume, and can better absorb/dissipate the heat from hard braking. Brake pad materials also produce less off-gassing than pads of the past, so I'm not convinced brake fade would result from the use of blanks vs slotted/dimpled.

It should also be mentioned that slotted/dimpled rotors chew through pads faster, and in my experience are more prone to warping and/or cracking.
It's not my argument but the one of EBC Brakes, a brakes manufacturer.

https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc-news/ebc-p...-sport-rotors/

F3x does dry brake only with rain sensor activated.
In the E46 however the wet braking reaction was way better due to the slots.
And dimpled rotors should not be cracking, which is a known problem of drilled rotors.

I took the F3x new with the M Performance Brakes so I can't compare with the normal rotor.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0