View Single Post
      09-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #22
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

after taking my friends 335 on the nurburgring during his euro delivery, the n55 motor is a dog. the turbo lag makes the car harder to drive, especially when you are downshifting - you can rev match, but the rpms usually drop.

the m cars that were turbocharged from the 70s and 80s also pumped out ridiculous HP#s and had 0 emissions. with todays emissions and BMWs pursuit to have the ultimate in MPG - that type of motor is impossible to have.

my biggest grip with turbo cars is the lack of throttle response. Porsche has perfected it with the turbo and the gt2, but there is nothing like a n/a motor - i.e. the gt3 or gt3rs and current gen m3. turbo lag is the problem, and although BMW has done a FANTASTIC job in the n54/n55 in making turbo lag almost invincible - they have done so for street driving - but not so much on the track.

i trust bmw and the engineers at the m division. I am sure they will make a fantastic car. I have yet to drive the turbo charged x5m and x6m. i want to drive them to see how the throttle response is and how they would be on the track.

i completely understand that 95% of M owners do not track there car and BMW is out to make money.

either way, i think the car will do well against the competition.

Appreciate 0