View Single Post
      07-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

So here's my attempt to make things clear, from what little I've understood so far. Hope this is useful for clueless people like me at a glance. (I'm really a newbie so please do correct me as needed):

Terms used:
- DHP: Dynamic handling package
- Passive: Suspension is fixed, doesn't change between sport and comfort modes.
- Active: Suspension is active, changes stiffness between sport and comfort modes.

In order of good to best, from "sporty" perspective (not comfort perspective):

1. Xdrive suspensions without the DHP:

This comes with the softest suspension and has the most roll. Perhaps because the car sits higher.
Note: You cannot add M-Performance Suspension later! You cannot add DHP after-purchase either.
Also Note: Even the "sportline" xdrive comes with non-sport suspension.

So if you do get Xdrive, get one with DHP or know that this is the softest suspension in the lineup.

2. Baseline / Noline / Comfortline / Luxuryline suspension without msport or DHP:

This is also a soft suspension. Rolls about as much as a Camry.
Good for after-purchase addons though, except the DHP can't be added after the fact. Can go for the expensive dealer-installed M-Performance suspension or non-OEM options (with warranty risks).

Car sits lower (by how much?) than xdrive (1).

3. Sportline non-xdrive or msport WITHOUT the DHP, or baseline/luxuryline/comfortline WITH M-Sport but not DHP

This is a passive suspension but MUCH stiffer than (2). Does have the handling feel that one associates with a bimmer.

Note: "Sport" and "Msport" are basically the same thing.

Car sits 10mm lower than (2).

4. xdrive with DHP
See 5.

5. Non-xdrive with DHP
The DHP is adaptive, meaning it changes stiffness between comfort and sport modes. Better than (3) when in Sport mode and more comfortable than (3) when in comfort mode. Highly recommended to purchase the car with this option. Cannot be added after buying the car.

Note: "Adaptive" and "M-Adaptive" are basically the same thing.

Car sits 10mm lower than even (3).. except the xdrive which still sits high? I am not sure about xdrive ride height with DHP.

6. M-performance suspension.
This is not a factory option, it is a dealer-installed thing. It could be installed by the dealer prior to the purchase, or after purchase. It is basically a BMW-provided aftermarket upgrade. It can be done after buying, but that becomes expensive (with some people getting $4000 quotes for labour alone).

Note:
This CANNOT be fitted on Xdrive cars.

If doing this on baseline/comfortline/luxuryline cars:
- Need to buy install msport-spec stabilizer bars (NOT part of the kit)
- Need to buy M-performance springs (NOT part of the kit)
- Need to buy the M-performance kit
- Need to pay for labour for all of the above.

If doing this on sportline / msport without DHP
- Your car already has the needed stabilizer bars
- Need to buy M-performance springs (NOT part of the kit)
- Need to buy the M-performance kit
- Need to pay for labour for all of the above.

Not clear if this can be done on cars with DHP or not. But if it is done, it will basically throw away the dynamic (adaptive) nature of DHP, which is a colossal waste. Not recommended if the car already has DHP.

Car sits even 10mm lower than (5), lowest in BMW-provided suspensions.

Hope I got at least some of that correct.. lol!

Last edited by newoldbeemer; 07-27-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 1