wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Hey everybody,

I've been doing a lot of research on tunes and am pretty interested in Active 8 and Dinan Stage 1 for my purposes. I'm in CA and don't plan on running fuels other than 91. Has anyone ever had any issues that stemmed from their tune - specifically the Active 8? I'm just curious if these tunes are stretching the engine past its capabilities or if they're more unlocking its hidden capabilities.

I know the Dinan gives you less of a power bump, but the warranty peace of mind sounds great. However, those increased performance numbers and lower price of the Active 8 keep on pulling me in....

As a sidenote, do people feel a pretty marked change in power from the Dinan Stage 1? Some posts claim it'll slam your head into your seat while others claim to not notice it at all.

Thanks in advance guys.
Don't go Dinan. Go with JB4 or Activ-8.

I'm running Activ-8 on my car and it hits hard. Hits even harder when paired with a downpipe. No issues at all aside from some limp modes during the first few months (DME freaking out cause car couldn't regain traction from low speed WOT). Fix for this is to run sport+ or disable DSC completely. You will also experience harsh shifts primarily from 2nd-3rd but this smooths out over time once the DME adjusts.

You're definitely not stretching the engine by any means. This engine is capable of high 500whp and that's without a flash tune or any other mods besides turbo, intake, dp, meth, tune. I haven't been in a Dinan tuned car but they're overpriced and underpowered. And yes, you 100% feel the difference vs stock with the AA tune. Stock feels very linear and smooth. AA feels exponential yet still smooth.

Just go with the Activ-8 and don't look back. You will not have an issue. Just make sure you can get a 91 tune since the Activ-8 is made for 93. I would say JB4 is a better deal but to me the Activ-8 feels the smoothest and has the least issues.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0