10-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #43
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
My wife just bought a X7 40i and it's a very, very nice driving SUV. The Coffee Merino interior is lovely, although I think it's sad that the dealership didn't spec it with Full Merino to get a matching Coffee lower dash section and a leather upper dash. She got an incredible deal on it though, so beggars can't be choosers, I guess!

The 6-cylinder has plenty of power, even for this beast. However, I don't know how the 40i will fare when towing something that is 5000 lbs.

Speaking of which, the dealership told her she would be better off with an aftermarket hitch receiver due to the power tailgate issue that has already been mentioned here. I'm not so convinced after reading this article, however.

The kicker is that she got rid of my 2019 Nissan Armada to make it happen since "we didn't need two vehicles that can tow." Fair enough. Problem is now it seems it might be a relative pain in the ass to set the X7 up for towing.

It sounds like it's still pre-wired for towing control though. Am I reading that correctly? Or do I still need to buy some kind of aftermarket tow controller and have it installed/mounted in the dashboard somewhere?

If anyone knows exactly what I'd need to get this thing set up to tow, please help inform me! It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
We just got a 2021 X7 about a month ago, with a factory installed hitch. If you are referring to an electric brake controller, there is a plug in the drivers side footwell / under the steering wheel area to connect an electric brake controller. You do have to buy a contoller however. There are a few posts in other forums on B P on that topic. Check out this thread - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1610985 There are a number of good posts in it about hooking up a brake controller.

Another related thread is this one - https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614142 I ordered the male plug and connectors from ECS that are mentioned in one of the posts, and a Redarc Tow Pro module, but have not had time to install it yet.