2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMisanthrope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I am not a fan of that package on the X7
Out of curiosity, why not?
Three basic reasons....

1) I am not really interested in what the tech offers. IMHO, the X7 is already a very good handling SUV at slow or high speeds. If I want really "tight" handling performance, I am fortunate to have another car for that (my M3). For a SUV, I want a more luxurious ride. My point of reference regarding SUV handling is my Ford Expedition EL (which I have owned for the last 10 years) so the X7 is an obvious significant improvement in the handling category. I can parallel park my Expedition and maneuver it in small parking lots (think Metro train lots), so I know I won't have any issues with the X7.

2) Complexity of the tech. The DHP and the air suspension are the only tech options that worry me from a long term reliability perspective - I suspect they will be very expensive to deal with if they break compared to other tech in the car. I plan to keep the X7 for the long haul. Past SUV air suspension systems from all car makers have had their issues. But at least air suspensions have been around a while so I am "betting on the come" that BMW has improved the overall reliability of the air suspension system. DHP tech is very new, however, so admittedly I don't trust it as much. For starters, only the dealership has the tools to do a basic 4-wheel alignment on a DHP equipped X7.

3) Cost. IMHO, It is a very expensive option for what you get. Even for an expensive luxury SUV like the X7, the cost/benefit of the DHP option does not sit well with me.

A bit over the top from an analysis standpoint, but my modest OCD can't help it .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1