10-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
I've owned 2 bmw x4's/ the first one did not have msport dif and I ordered this one with it. I know the difference. honestly you wont feel it most of the time. I feel it under two specific conditions, rapidly taking off in a turn and sudden over takes on a road with rapid lane change. I do not turn off DSC to notice it. I can literally feel it engage. Now was it worth what I paid for it? I say yes but i probably would not have noticed it had I not ordered it this way. I am happy with it and no regrets but you have to decide for yourself, as pleased with it as I am I recognize it's a subtle difference that frankly most people would never notice.
"If you're planning to track the car, or drive it at more than 8/10ths of it's capabilities, you need it. If you like a car that handles well, and occasionally do a few drives on fun twisty roads, it's just not necessary. This car handles very well under virtually every driving condition you will find on any road, and I got it without the MSport diff."

I don't plan on trak'ing the car and I live in an area that has some twisty roads but the speed limits are like 30-35mph which I would normally drive 40-45mph and I agree with the quotes above that I may not even notice since I don't even approach 7/10th performance. I like driving quick but not crazy. Every so often I'll play with the performance but drive a lot in Normal mode. That said...I'm not sure if I would notice it.

However, I read that it helps in snowy conditions. I drive alot up/down 7-16% graded windy mountain canyon roads in the winter that can be really snowy. I always have snow tires on. My X3 does a fantastic job but sometimes I feel the backend sliding and wonder if the MLSD would help with that. And what about just driving on snowy roads. Will it help?

Last edited by cadman50; 10-21-2020 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added quote color
Appreciate 0