01-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Winter Tyres now compulsory in Germany

I almost forgot that on 1 January, Germany made it compulsory that tyres "suitable to the weather conditions" are installed on every vehicle. I think AS tyres are OK as long as there is not a lot of snow/ice. Otherwise, tyres with that snowflake-on-the-mountain logo are required.

If you're caught driving with summer tyres in winter (and I'm guessing vice-versa), firstly it's a €40 fine. Secondly, if you block a road because you're stuck with unsuitable tyres, then they will fine you (I can't remember how much) for causing an obstruction. Thirdly, if you get into an accident with unsuitable tyres, then you will be liable for the damage to your car (the insurance won't cover it). Fourthly, if it can be proved by experts that having suitable tyres could have prevented (or maybe even minimised) the accident, then you will also be liable for any third party damage out of your own pocket.

From what I can gather after talking with some people, the new law is a little vague (ie, what exactly constitutes "tyres suitable to the weather conditions" etc). But nevertheless, it makes the investment worthwhile.

Now if only the damn rental companies would stop charging extra for winter tyres (usually €15 per day) during the winter!! :mad:

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0