Thread: Road bikes?
View Single Post
      08-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #112
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Good advice, ride what came on it until you wear it out. The saddle will most likely be your first upgrade, but ride it to learn what works. I use one saddle for racing, and one for training. My training saddle is a Brooks Swift that's just a leather cover over a titanium frame. It's heavy, but as comfortable as things get. My race saddle weighs about a third of the Brooks but isn't as comfy, but still passable for multiple days.

I find that shorts are never as comfortable as bibs, and each brand is different than others, start with a reasonably priced brand like Garneau, Pearl Izumi or even Performance's house brand and test them out. You'll also want a few actual cycling jerseys, fit fairly close to skin tight. Any flapping around will get annoying and can cause chafing, plus they cool better than regular clothing. I'd also recommend a base layer, but this isn't critical unless it's miserably hot where you live, like it is here.

Get comfortable with your current pedal setup, you'll want to change over to clipless pedals at some point, but this isn't a huge concern at first, just get comfortable on the bike, learn how to work on it, and how to make minor adjustments and you'll realize what works and what doesn't as you add on the miles. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0