03-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #750
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Ok guys, I have been lurking around this forum for a while, learning as much as I can prior to an X7 purchase. While I promised myself I was going to wait until this summer (Jun/Jul) before making a purchase, one of my local dealers actually has an X7 configured so close to the way I want, I decided to go to the dealer, take a closer look at this particular X7, and ask a few questions. So, given the experience and results of different deals discussed in this thread, I figure, why wait and post my final deal (assuming I can get to one), but instead have a little bit of fun and make this an "interactive" online forum negotiating experience.

So, after looking at the X7 in person, here is what what I initially told him that it would take for me to make a deal now, 3-4 months before I originally wanted to make an X7 purchase...

2020 X7 40i, MSRP $86820
a) 11-12% off MSRP
b) Eligible Incentives: $2000 APR, $1250 Loyalty, $500 Military Discount
c) $5000 minimum for my trade (2007 Ford Expedition EL w/140k miles)
d) Financing: BMW Select w/2.99% for 60 months
e) Add shadow line grill & rear trim to the deal (the X7 did not have the extended shadowline trim package, but I still want those parts)

I leave the dealership since I don't feel like playing the good cop/bad cop game in person and the dealer tells me he will send a detailed breakdown in an email. A few hours later, he sends me this:

- We have a total if $10,700 off MSRP this includes ; $1250 loyalty , $2000 APR credit , $500 USAA. The Rest is dealership discount.
- Typical online discounting is 10.5% including all rebates . We are Honoring 12.5%
- Payments will be $998.29/m assuming WA registration ( No taxes added to structure).
- 60/m @ 3.99% ( 2.99 is buy rate from BMW, this rate can only be honored if you are being from MSRP) .
- Residual amount will be 31% which = to $26,914.20 at the end of 60/m Select Program.
- Trade which was added to this structure came in at $3723 ( ** sight unseen ** ; values could change a few hundred when proper appracial is completed) .

This structure will include your Grille acc. and rear non-gloss modling in the rear which totals up to $493.34 w/o labor.

This was my response via email (the numbers anyway)...

My Deal
- 11% off MSRP before any factory incentives applied: $77,269.80
- APR Incentive: $2000
- Loyalty Incentive: $1250
- USAA Incentive: $500

- Total w/Incentives Applied: $73519.80

- Dealer Processing Fee: $299
- Shadowline Grill & Rear Trim: $493.34 (w/o labor)

Total Financed: $74,312.14

Other info I put in my response (condensed version):
- I can apply online at BMW FS for 2.99% APR, why can't you give me that APR? BMW FS does not say I have to pay full MSRP to get 2.99%.
- I can sell my Expedition for more than $5k, if I do and I lose this X7 because you sell it while my SUV is for sale, I will just look elsewhere
- I will put down a big down payment: $30k, but $5k must come from the sale or trade of my Expedition
- How long has this X7 been on your lot? (Rhetorical question since I know it has been 30+ days, I think it may be approaching 60)

So I don't need to make this deal now, but if I get what I want, I am willing to pull the trigger - so I don't really feel any pressure and can just walk away.

So, thoughts? Next move? Let the online interactive negotiatiating begin . I suspect I will have some type of response by noon tomorrow....

Oh yeah, I think it is obvious I have decided to purchase, not lease, and I am at peace with that decision so I want to just focus on the deal (not the pros/cons of lease vs buy)...
assuming your 2007 Ford Expedition EL XLT 4D SUV 4WD, is in mint condition; your value ($5k) is a closer to a max sale value to a private party; and their (3k) is full black book auction dealer wholesale value. I'd be surprised if any dealership offers more for your trade without fiddling the other numbers.

That said the rest of your numbers looks good. a personal side note, why lease for 5 years instead of buying?
I'd imagine a 2-3 year lease would be better; and/or a straight 5-6 year purchase loan.
I'd think short lease would be better? or long buy loans? but a long lease?

that's my 2 cents, but I don't know.
Appreciate 0