View Single Post
      03-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAU GRAU View Post
As, much as I'd want to agree with the first two of you...I think the reality is the third. Most people don't want the impracticality of two doors.
This is not a new phenomena. Coupe sales have been a very small percentage of the overall market for decades.

Quote:
I can see the M coupes not going away...but the series coupes aren't long for the world.
That scenario has absolutely no reasonable chance of happening. M vehicles are based on Series vehicles because that enables them to be produced at a reasonable cost. If the coupes go, the M counterparts will go with them.

Quote:
So, my guess is once the 2 gran coupe is here, the actual coupe will disappear. Just my two cents, of course.
Not only will this not happen, but no other BMW coupe will disappear in the next seven years either, and quite probably longer. The G15 goes through 2024, the G22 will go through 2027 and the G42 will go through 2028. And electric coupes will most certainly be a thing in time as well.

If luxury coupe models do begin to drop out of the marketplace, it will be because the sedans with which they share many parts are put to rest due to those models no longer being financially viable either. This may very well happen at some point, but so far all major luxury nameplates are holding strong. Sedans themselves are not predicted to go away, but some pruning in premium sedans is likely to come next decade, yes. It remains to be seen if the coming shift to EV will stabilize the sedan and passenger car segments.
Appreciate 0