Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
I’m ok using breaker bar to loosen them up unless you guys know a impact wrench that is a good value for this job.

Re stands, you guys lift up one corner at a time using jack then put in a jack stand at the other lift point on the same side of the car? And if so, you use a stand with adapter so that it slides right into
The bmw plastic lift points?
I haven't needed a breaker bar. If you're properly torquing the bolts and swapping wheels twice a year it won't be a problem. An impact wrench is overkill and unnecessary unless you have one and want an excuse to use it. In fact, I have an impact wrench and never use it for my wheel swaps because it would just add more work to the process.

Here's what I do. I'm sure there are 'safer' ways but it's what I do.

1. Park the car with parking brake and chock two wheels. (level ground)
2. Arrange the new wheels ready nearby.
3. Use a protected 17mm socket on my wrench (~18"-24" handle) to loosen the lug bolts a 1/4 turn
4. Place a jack pad adapter on the floor jack and roll the floor jack under the BMW jack point. Lift the car until the wheel is in the air.
5. Complete the removal of the lug bolts.
6. Remove the wheel.
7. Add a small amount of Aluminum Anti-seize lube around wheel hub lip to make removal of the wheel easier next season.
8. (Optional but helpful if using wheel spacers) Insert a pilot lug.
9. Lift new wheel onto the hub. Normally I just rest the wheel on the lip of the hub (or on the pilot lug) and start hand tightening the wheel bolts in place. Remove the pilot lug if I used one and replace it with a bolt.
10. Tighten the bolts most of the way.
11. Use the floor jack to lower the car back onto the wheel.
12. Torque the bolts (star pattern) with my torque wrench (usually 98-102 lb ft).
13. Repeat
14. Check and set tire pressure

Usually this takes me 60-75 minutes including setup and cleanup time.
Appreciate 0