Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
I didn't think DHP was available on 3/4 series cars, just 5 and up. Good to know.
Yup, the Adaptive M Suspension was also a standalone option on my 4 Series, best $500 I ever spent.
I think his point is that you're comparing apples to oranges - Adaptive M/DHP in the 3/4 series isn't comparable to DHP in the larger BMW vehicle classes.

On the 3/4 Series, the $500 Adaptive M suspension package is a -20mm drop (if RWD) with modified a base suspension and allows you to adjust the electronic damping settings via the Driving Experience Control - comfort, sport buttons.

The Dynamic Handling Package on 3/4 was only Adaptive M suspension and Variable sport steering (VSS) for $1000.

Dynamic handling packages on the on 5, 7, X5 and X7 are more advanced. The X7 is more advanced than the new X5 (DHP is only available on the X5 50i) since it uses Active Comfort Drive with 4 air suspension struts with Electronic Damper Control (EDC) versus 4 steel springs with EDC on the X5 50i.

ACD system uses camera sensors to preview the road ahead of the vehicle and proactively make suspension adjustments to not only tighten up suspension settings for upcoming turns but to also increase straight-line comfort by actively countering oscillations triggered by road surface imperfections.

DHP also includes:
- front/rear electronic active stabilizers (EARS) versus conventional anti-roll bars
- regulated M rear axle differential lock (only on 50i)
- front steering via Integral Active Steering
- rear axle slip angle control (EARS)
- M sport brakes

If someone wanted the best handling X7, DHP is a no brainer at $3850 (40i) or $4750 (50i since it includes M rear differential)

Appreciate 0