View Single Post
      05-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #36
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

I've had the G05/X540 as a loaner while my wife's '18 540 sedan has been in for service and put about 1,500 miles on the loaner. The G05 does feel nimble, has good power, and a bumpy ride (loaner car, no options). My wife also had a '10 & '14 X5 which I loaded with all available options. I don't remember the ride in the '10 (M Sport) or '14 (no M Sport) being as "rough" as the G05.

I have the G07 with the DHP and the IAS is a must for me. Our last X5d had it and my wife also liked it. Makes maneuvering easy. For whatever reason one of the packages I ordered on the 5er wouldn't let us get the IAS and my wife reminds me of that every now and then.

She also reminds me I can't drive the X7 like I drove my G12. The X is "heavier" but only when really pushing it. My favorite 360° freeway on ramp, I'd get up around 50MPH+ in the G12, to the point where the front left tire was balding on the outside (Xdrive sedan).

I'm finally through the break-in period and when I took the same on-ramp in the X, I was getting close to 50, when the "safety" systems started kicking in and holding me back.

The X7 is definitely not a BMW sedan and can't be driven like a BMW sedan BUT it is a BMW and can be DRIVEN like a BMW (just not as hard?).

I've auto-crossed and tracked all my 7er sedans and am waiting for the day I can take the X7 out to do the same.

Every time I drive the company Ford Explorer, I'm reminded of what it lacks and what the BMW has and I wish the company car was an X7 (not an apples to apples comparison).

The X7 has a smooth, comfortable ride (longer wheelbase) and somewhat "nimble" for a large and heavy vehicle. The X5 is nimble, though I'm not liking the roughness of the ride (which may be helped by the 2-axel air suspension option). My wife is already talking about her next vehicle....which may be an X5 and I would be ok with that. I'm secretly hoping she will "take" my X7 and I'd get back in to a 7 sedan.
Appreciate 0