View Single Post
      09-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
Ihdihd
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
You should always lock your doors, even in your garage (10 years as an auto claims adjuster taught me that). Also, note that if you have a child seat (infant, convertible or booster) the car senses the weight and will not turn off iDrive fully. Took me about a month after getting my G01 to get used to this, my F25 and F15 were the older, push start twice to turn off style.
Thanks, I do think there's more to it - Even if the key was removed from the car, the car wouldn't sense the removal event until after the doors have all been opened AND occupants left the car. So if the car does turn off when the doors open - which it sometimes does - then its the door opening that does turns off Idrive, not the key leaving the vehicle, nor the pressure sensors in the seats (which are there) telling the car that load is off the vehicle.

As for car seats maintaining permanent pressure - that's an interesting one I have to play with - we do have car seats in the car.

As for the car being stolen / kids accidentally driving it off - the keys are equally accessible whether in the car or not (especially with the digital key), and the garage in my home equally secure to other areas in the home where the key would otherwise be. Ultimately the biggest safety net is that all my neighbors have much more hackable P100Ds sitting in their garages and you don't even need a key to pull that one off

It's a bit more risk for sure, but one I'm willing to mitigate, transfer, and ultimately accept parts of.
Appreciate 0